Skip Navigation
Babel Fish Translation Babel Fish logo Spanish Flag Russian Flag Korean Flag

Representative Payee

If an individual is no longer able to manage his or her Social Security check, a “representative payee” can be appointed by the Social Security Administration to manage these funds. A “representative payee” assumes responsibility for using the payee's Social Security income for the payee's monthly expenses, such as rent, utilities, food, medical care and other necessities. The “representative payee” must keep accurate records of all payments and regularly report to the Social Security Administration.

Family, Friends or Volunteers Function as Payee

In many cases, an individual who knows the beneficiary requests that he or she be appointed the payee. This may be a family member, a friend or an attorney. If there is no one willing or able to serve in this role, a nursing home or an individual volunteer working with a social service agency or other organization may serve as the payee. Local Departments of Social Services and other human service agencies and other human service agencies operate volunteer representative payee programs. Volunteer payees may also work through a local church or synagogue.

If you or your loved one would like to learn more about Social Security's Representative Payee Program call 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on business days or visit their web site.