Skip Navigation
Babel Fish Translation Babel Fish logo Spanish Flag Russian Flag Korean Flag

Legal Documents

In order to enter a Retirement Community applicants need to present documents regarding their finances and health status.In order to enter a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), applicants need to present documents regarding their finances and health status. In addition, the CCRC is required to present certain documents to the applicant before a contract is signed.

Documents You Should Provide Upon Admission

Anyone interested in entering a CCRC must provide documents to prove they are financially able to pay the required fees and to ensure that their current health status is appropriate for the section of the CCRC that they wish to enter.

It is strongly recommended that you have an elder law attorney and/or a financial counselor review all application and admission documents before signing them.

Financial Documents
Financial information will be required to make sure the applicant can make the payments required by the CCRC. This information may include:

  • Your most recent bank statement
  • Your most recent brokerage statement
  • Your most recent tax return

Insurance Documents
Ability to pay for health care is important. Many CCRCs require that an applicant be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B, and have a Medigap Supplemental Health Policy or similar health coverage. Depending on the type of contract, long-term care insurance may be either encouraged or required. Copies of all health insurance and long-term care insurance policies must be provided to the CCRC.

Documents Related to Decision-Making
If any of the following documents have been completed for the applicant, it is necessary to provide a copy of each to the admissions coordinator:

  • Advance Directives: These documents allow a person to make health care decisions in advance. An advance directive may specify the type of care the person wants, and/or it may name another individual to give informed consent for medical treatment.
  • Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Order: This form states that the patient does not want to be revived if cardiac and/or respiratory arrest occurs.
  • Financial Power of Attorney: The person named in this document is responsible for handling only the individual's financial affairs as described in the document (this may include payment of bills) if the patient is unable, or does not wish, to do so.

If an individual, because of a mental or physical disability, is not able to give informed consent for medical decisions and/or to make financial decisions, the court may appoint a guardian(s). If a guardianship exists, copies of the court order(s) must be provided to the CCRC:

  • Order for Guardian of the Person: This document is established by a court to appoint a person to give informed consent for medical decisions.
  • Order for Guardian of the Property: This document is established by the court to appoint a person to make financial decisions.

Documents You Will be Asked to Sign

Once an individual is ready to make the move to the CCRC, a contract and other documents are prepared.

  • Residence and Care Agreement (Continuing Care Agreement or Contract)—The contract specifies the services and amenities provided by the CCRC, the size of the apartment/cottage and the amount of the entrance and monthly fees.
  • Receipt of Certified Financial Statement—The CCRC is required to provide a copy of its latest certified financial statement at least two weeks prior to your signing the Continuing Care Agreement. You will be asked to sign a form indicating that you have received a copy of this statement.
  • Financial Information Form—Information and documentation regarding your finances will be required.

For information about wills, estates and probate or to learn how to register a will, the Maryland Register of Wills offers information and links to local registers.