Skip Navigation
Babel Fish Translation Babel Fish logo Spanish Flag Russian Flag Korean Flag


Discharge from a program providing in-home care generally occurs when one no longer needs service or no longer meets the eligibility requirements. It may also occur if the patient is dissatisfied with the services and cannot resolve the problem. An individual also may be discharged for failure to follow the program's rules or failure to make payment.

Discontinuing a Service
If you wish to discontinue a service provided in your home or the home of a loved one, you should contact the agency providing the service and give them the date you would like to stop receiving service. If you are working with a case manager speak with this individual regarding discontinuing service. He or she may be able to help you locate a different provider (if your reason for discontinuing the service is that you do not like the provider), help you determine if another service is more appropriate or explore other funding sources (if you can no longer afford the service).

If you wish to discontinue service you or your loved one is receiving in the community, such as adult medical day services, you should review the documents provided at admission to determine if you must provide a particular number of days notice before discharge. You may also ask the provider about the discharge procedures.

When the Provider Discontinues a Service
There are several reasons a provider may discontinue in-home services.

  • You or your loved one no longer need the service; that is, the patient is no longer eligible under the program or insurance guidelines.
  • You or your loved one has needs that exceed what the service can safely provide. If an individual cannot be safely cared for in the home because he or she needs 24-hour supervision that is not available or affordable, a health care agency cannot continue to provide their services. In this type of circumstance an assisted living facility or nursing home may be more appropriate.
  • Non-payment

Appealing Discharge
If you believe you or your loved one has been wrongfully discharged by a home health agency, you may file a complaint with the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's Office of Health Care Quality. They can be reached at 410-402-8040 or 1-800-492-6005.